Saturday, September 10, 2011

Comfort food.


This is not the soup I made last night, but it looks fairly similar. I made this one a few years ago for my food blog (which I never update anymore). I love potato soup because it's extremely comforting, quick to make and uses ingredients I usually have around the house when I desperately need to go grocery shopping. Here's my recipe (measurements are approximate):

Ingredients:
3 T unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth (if too thick, add a little water - it won't change the taste)
6 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup half and half
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (as garnish)
Sour cream (as garnish)
Shredded cheddar cheese (as garnish)

Directions:
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add flour and whisk until a roux forms. Add chicken broth and potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Blend potatoes with an immersion blender. I blended most of it, then left a few chunks. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add half-and-half to make it a little creamier. Ladle into bowls, then garnish with crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. I also like to add a dash of cayenne to my bowl to make it a little spicy. Enjoy!

Sometimes you just need a bowl of comfort! I served the soup with side salads to get some greens into our diets. I then promptly fell asleep not too long after dinner after an exhausting day of helping with a student service day at the school on very little sleep.

Today is actually my birthday, but I don't really have much planned. Jon's at work all day so when he gets home I plan to have a pizza made and we are going to watch the Notre Dame/Michigan game. Go Irish!

What is your favorite soup or quick meal?

2 comments:

  1. that looks delicious! perfect for fall. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a jerk! I lost your shipping address!! Will you email it to me again? ksperkinson at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete