My friends asked me what my resolutions are for the year. I responded with the simple fact, "I don't do resolutions." They urged me to think of something and I relayed a cliche response of wanting to be the best mom I can be. While that is 100% absolutely true, a part of me DOES like making goals for myself. I've had a lot of time today to think about what is important to me and what I would like to accomplish this year and thought I would share them with you (or at least write them here for myself since I have all of 2 readers left, I'm sure).
- Be present. It is SO easy to get lost in technology and check the various websites I frequent on a daily basis (or play many games of Words with Friends!). I usually try to put my phone away when my husband gets home from work, but I've found that I haven't really been doing a good job of that lately. And since I stay-at-home it is all too easy for me to hop online whenever I want. However, today I didn't get online as often as I normally do and I spent more time interacting with my adorable son. I need to do this every day. Time goes by so fast and I don't want to miss these moments. I also want to focus more on interacting with my husband because it's so easy to just sit back at the end of the night and zone out after a long day.
- Get back into the Word. I go to church on a weekly basis (usually), but besides prayer I don't do much beyond that if I'm being honest with myself (and all of you). I have heard a lot about She Reads Truth and decided that I want to participate this time around. I signed up today and it already feels good to get back into reading & thinking about truth.
- Organize. There's a lot that I want to do with this one word, but in general I want to create a cleaning schedule, menu plan for breakfast and lunch (I have been menu planning dinner for a long time, but now I have a child who eats real food!), and have a general idea of how I want our days to look.
- Read more. I really don't have an excuse for not reading more. I knew that I wouldn't have as much time to read once I became a mom, but I spend entirely too much time online during times that I could be reading. That needs to change. I love to read and I don't want to lose that part of myself.
- Get crafty. I have actually started working on this goal already when I made new decorations for the fall and Christmas seasons. I want to do more of this. I also want to start sewing. I loved sewing when I took Home Ec in school and always find cute little things I would like to make. I also want to learn to knit. I have put this off for a long time because I don't have much patience when it comes to learning things I don't know anything about, but there are so many things I could make if I would just sit down and learn. I might even try to take a class at JoAnn Fabrics with a friend!
- Socialize. Being a stay-at-home mom tends to keep me cooped up at home a lot. This week has been the worst in awhile. I literally have not left the house since Friday. That is insane. I met another stay-at-home mom randomly at the library a couple of weeks ago and I am hoping that we can hang out soon. I also want my son to engage with other children and adults as well. I need to be creative in finding new ways to get us out of the house and socializing with others!
I'm going to stop there, but I'm sure I will expand on these goals (and add new ones) as time goes on. These were just the ones that I have been thinking about today!
What are your resolutions for this year?