Here are this week's questions for book club:
1. Would you watch or be tempted to watch a show like Ape House? I think any type of reality TV is very tempting to watch, but I have a really soft spot for animals and the way that they are treated. I would be incredibly outraged if there was something like this on TV and think that it would make me really sad to watch. I can't even watch Humane Society commercials without crying! However, I may watch like Isabel did to make sure that the apes aren't harmed.
2. Do you think John did the right thing by quitting his job and moving to L.A.? Yes, I do. He was obviously becoming depressed with his current situation at work and by being so far from his wife. I think for the sake of his mental health and his relationship with his wife that it was a smart move for him.
3. We haven't seen a whole lot of Isabel in this section, but what do you think of Peter now that we know more about him? I think Peter is despicable. He clearly does not care for animals the way someone in his position should and has exploited the apes for his own gain.
4. Can John turn the ape story for the tabloid into something he is proud of? Is he getting a little bit of redemption by being assigned to his dream story again even if it is for a tabloid? I think that John would write about the apes in an honest and respectful way, but I don't think it's something that the tabloid is going to want. We all know that tabloids feed off of drama and extreme gossip so anything he writes is not going to be printed the way he wants it to be. His writing will be twisted in order to supply the tabloid the gossip they crave. However, I do think he is getting redemption being assigned to the story again. I just hope that he will eventually be able to write what he wants in order to shed light on what is really happening at the apes' house. Additionally, he knows Isabel and I think having that relationship with her will allow him to get ahead of the other reporters there.
5. Have your thoughts on John and Amanda's marriage changed since last week? Where do you see their marriage headed? Definitely. I think that their marriage is stronger than I realized and that they both need each other (in a good way). I think it will be a little rough with them living apart while John reports on this story, but only because Amanda seems to be very unhappy with her new job. I think that their marriage will head in a positive direction and that they will end up happy in the long run.
6. What do you think will end up happening to the apes? I think the apes will eventually be rescued...at least that is my hope! I think more negative things will be uncovered about their new owners and what is actually going on, which will help the case that has been brought against them.