|This is a funny pic my mom snapped of me the day after Christmas - maybe I should start making this face anytime someone asks me a stupid question? (and oh yeah, I am rocking my Woodsy the Owl shirt!)|
1. "Was it planned?" - Um, excuse me? Do people actually think that is a legitimate question to ask someone? Even if it wasn't, I am obviously sharing the news because we are excited about it. Additionally, we are married and want to have kids so having a kid is something that we feel we are blessed to do!
2. "You look like you're ready to pop!" - Ok, this exact statement has not been said to me, but I have had multiple students tell me that I am getting really big. Why thank you, lovely kids, that is exactly what I want to hear when I feel HUGE. I've already gained 30 pounds...I don't need anyone reminding me of that. On the other hand, I love when people tell me that I look really small.
3. "Can I touch your belly?" - Oh yes, I have had students ask me this to which I always reply, "Absolutely not!" I honestly don't know what they are thinking when they ask me that. I gently remind them that only family and close friends have those privileges. Otherwise, it's just awkward.
4. "Have you picked a name yet?" - This question doesn't necessarily annoy me, but since we aren't telling anyone the name until he is born I have to go into that whole spiel. I don't mind when people ask when they already know about that and are just curious if we have decided yet though. And no, we have not chosen a name yet.
5. "Enjoy ________ now because once the baby comes, you can kiss it goodbye." - I understand that my life is drastically going to change when our baby arrives, but I do not need to be reminded that I will not sleep or have any time to myself once that happens. The only exception to this is when friends who have recently had children talk to me about it because I know that this is all new to them too! (and they need someone to "vent" to)
And there you have it.
If you are pregnant/have been pregnant, do/did you get asked any of these questions?