Wednesday, May 13, 2009

5K training...not going as well as I thought.

I have a really hard time when it comes to exercise. I was in gymnastics for 15 years and dance for 4 years so I never really had to work out like a normal person. I did strength training and cardio at gymnastics and dance practices. However, once I began college I did not have those opportunities anymore. I have not stuck with an exercise program since I was 17. I'm turning 27 in September...that's a DECADE of not having a decent workout program. I've tried DVD's, going to the university rec center, running on my own outside, among a few other things and nothing has stuck with me. Fortunately, I am still within my weight range for my height and have a healthy BMI. But I still want to work out and be healthy since I do have high cholesterol problems (family trait). Plus, I know eventually my metabolism will slow down immensely.

I found a 6 weeks to a 5K program through fitnessmagazine.com. Of couse, I didn't start it on Monday like I was supposed to. I started it yesterday and I didn't even make it through the entire 4 miles. I am way more out of shape than I would like to admit. Additionally, my Ipod ran out of juice while I was running....that should not be an excuse, but I made it one anyway. I ended up only making it through 2 miles, but I am determined to do this so I will keep at it until it sticks. I have also been trying to find a 5K to run this summer so I have a goal to look forward to, but I have not been able to find one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment